Monday, November 24, 2008

365 days

Do you ever remember the dates of important events in your life and then replay them when their anniversary comes around? Birthdays and holidays don't count (unless something unusual happened on those days). My dates of importance this year... Aug. 4, Sept. 22, Nov. 24, Jan. 4, Jan. 18, April 6. I'm sure there are more, but those are the few that automatically pop into my head. On these days I wake up reflecting on what has happened in the 365 days between then and now. What have I learned? How have I changed?

In the year that's passed since Nov. 24, 2007, I have learned to be so vulnerable that I say and act in such passionate ways that I can surprise myself at how deeply someone can feel. I have learned what self-worth feels like and that it's not the same things as being self-centered. I have learned that what you always think you wanted may sometimes be the exact opposite, but that finding that out by trial and error is better than never trying at all. I have learned that the friends you think you will have for life really ARE the friends that you will have for life. I have learned that not letting yourself be affected by other peoples negativity is positively refreshing.

I am a changed woman because I am a better judge of heart and intent. I am stronger because I have gained strength from the life experiences of the new and old friends in my life. I am healthier because I see how my actions and decisions now will effect me and the people around me in the long run. I am clearer in my path in life and anxious that I am not acting on my hearts leading. I am happier because the most important person in my life is a new beacon of light in my world.

I don't so much mind the 365 day evaluation, even if this day marks one of the darkest I can remember. Maybe that is why a year later, I can be so thankful for the milestone of Nov. 24, 2008.

No comments: